The Universal adapter style is designed for units that don't have a replaceable sliding vent door like the Kamados do.
Both variants of the Universal Adaptor are 70mm / 2.8" long and have a female coupler to insert the Smartfire Controller into on one end, and the the other end has a male 1" BSP pipe male thread to make it easy to screw tight some lock nuts on either side of a pit wall or connect into other ball valve adaptors.
The 'Dual Thread' variant (on the left) also features a female 3/4" BSP female thread on the inside of the pipe end that has the 1" BSP on the outside. This provides two methods to connect the adaptor to your pit. This is ideally suited for Weber/WSM/ProQ folk who instead of drilling a 35mm hole want to connect through the bottom air inlet daisy wheels. It's a little more expensive as the more complicated design has to be machined from solid stainless steel pipe!
Universal Adaptor (Standard) is Designed For
- Weber kettles
- Custom smokers that may be using a BSP ball valve (BYO 2" to 1" adapter as required)
Dual Thread Universal Adaptor is Designed For
Bullet style smokers with daisy wheel air inlet(s) near the charcoal basket, ie:
- ProQ Smokers, such as the Elite series
- Weber Smoky Mountains
To use it, you simply insert the Smartfire Controller into the precisely machined female adapter end - which is of the same dimensions as other draft control units.
If you're drilling a hole, use of this adapter this does require careful location of a 33mm drill hole that won't disturb ash but isn't too close to the main fire. Please checkout this detailed write up for further information with pictures and video.
Daisy Wheel installation of the Dual Thread version requires use of a round file to increase one of the daisy wheel holes to ~20mm. You'll also need to block the other three unused holes, the recommendation is cut small tear drop sized pieces of tin and insert between the daisy wheel and the BBQ wall. Folk have reported success with folded alfoil and silicone tape.
- It's 70mm / 2.8" long and as a 1" BSP pipe it has the outer dimension of 32mm / 1.28". Both have a 1" BSP male thread on one end.
- Dual Thread version also has a female 3/4 BSP thread on the inside of the 1" BSP end. It also includes a 3/4" bush copper adaptor and a 15mm lock nut.
- On the pit facing end, there is a 1" BSP male thread that is 30mm / 1.2" long. If you have thicker walls, its possible to make your own tubing to go through your pit and then join it to the Smartfire universal adapter with a 1" BSP coupling adapter.